© 2017 Worton Farms Ltd
Sitting within the historic hamlet of Worton, the family estate started life in 1808 as Worton Rectory Farm, although the site's history dates even further back. Worton is included in the 1086 Domesday Book and during archaeological excavations in the 1990's, artefacts from the Iron Age and Roman and Saxon settlements were discovered.
Worton is committed to renewable projects, recycling and organic production. Our entire heating system is fuelled by estate wood via a biomass heating system. We have joint ventures in a number of recycling projects on site including, food waste to energy, skip hire and recycled aggregates.
We are committed to sustainable healthy farming with fresh seasonal organic vegetables, honey and eggs available from our award winning on-site farm shop and at local farmers markets.
Over the years Worton has engaged in numerous renewable projects including:
Our waste management sister company M&M waste solutions
An Anaerobic Digestion plant which has been designed and built by Agrivert. It processes food waste which is turned into 2.1MW of electricity, this is then exported to the national grid where it powers an estimated 5000 homes! It also produces an excellent bio-fertiliser.
We were co-founders in the Oxford Charcoal Company which produces good quality charcoal from domestic, sustainably produced British woodland. Charcoal production is one of the two main drivers of forest degradation in Africa. Together with fuelwood collection it accounts for about 48% of degradation. Much of that charcoal is then exported to countries like the UK.
Our second farm is situated in the tiny hamlet of Thrupp, Manor Farm lies adjacent to the 18th-century Oxford Canal. It has a mix of holiday lets, organic farming and woodlands. We have planted in excess of 80,000 trees at Thrupp farm making for some beautiful walks enjoyed by guests and the local community.